Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Titans Roster Prediction Update

About three weeks ago, I predicted what the final 53 man roster for the Tennessee Titans would look like. Considering yesterday the Titans released one of the players I had penciled in to make the team, quarterback Gino Guidugli, it's time to say a little bit more about who might make the team. I think for the most part I did a pretty good job. I really fludded Michael Waddell's spot on the roster; I had him cut, but he's a lock to make the team. I was probably a little premature in marking safety Donnie Nickey as a lock, though I still think he'll make the team. It's even possible they could carry nine defensive backs, with Sandy and Hill grabbing the last two spots as I predicted. As noted, I had Gino Guidugli penciled in as the #3 quarterback; well, he's been cut and Chris Redman has been signed, with Shane Boyd also on the roster. I think Redman is in the lead at this point for the job, but that if Shane Boyd is close and shows promise, he'll be the guy; no inside information, just a guess. I also underrated the improvement in Jarrett Payton's game; from practice reports and what I saw of the first preseason game, he looks like a different, much better back than he was at Miami or earlier in the Titans phase of his career. At this point, Damien Nash sounds like a potential cut, 5th-round draft pick or not, and I'll give that spot to Jimmy Dixon, who's been starting for Troy Fleming during the latter's absence, instead, though write that down in pencil. If they do take a sixth wide receiver from someone currently on the roster, it will likely be O.J. Small. As for the kicking slot, Bironas took the lead with a 53 yard FG to send the Tampa Bay game to overtime, but in the Atlanta game, Kimrin missed a PAT, and Bironas missed field goals of 37 yards and 44 yards, I think, and apparently rather badly. I think they'll sign the loser of Minnesota's kicking battle between Paul Edinger and Aaron Elling, who kicked successfully for the men in two-tone blue in the opening game at Miami last year after Joe Nedney went down with an injury.

I'll probably update this next after the roster is cut down to 65, though I might have something to say if I manage to watch Saturday's preseason contest against the San Francisco 49ers, being shown live on the NFL Network.

UPDATE (8/26, 5:34 PM CT): Well, the San Francisco game is tonight, not Saturday night. Oops, my badd. I won't have NFL Network access tonight, but will follow the game on NFL.com's excellent GameCast and/or the radio play-by-play. Hopefully, the game is being taped for me and I'll be able to watch it this weekend.

No comments: