Sunday, June 28, 2009

Linkagery

I was informed that my most recent links post was pretty boring, and I admit, it was kind of mediocre-fewer items than I generally prefer to have, and most links weren't that interesting. Still, I hadn't done much blogging lately, and as my former English teacher said of his initial efforts when he retired and tried to write a novel, sometimes you have to pump out the garbage before you can do something good. So, more links.

I just have one question for you: What Would Alabama Man Do? Well, for one, he might very well tailgate a play. It couldn't be just any play, though, but a play about Bear Bryant, yes, that's the one to tailgate.

Technical football alert: yet another primer on zone blocking. You can never have too many of those.

Jack Bechta of NFP wrote about how to become an NFL agent. No, I have no intention of ever trying to become an agent.

Year of Sports Death link: DeMaurice Smith is pointing out to everybody who'll listen (e.g., Fanhouse interview) that the NFL is preparing for a lockout in 2011, doing things like negotiating media contracts that are guaranteed regardless of whether or not there are actual games to broadcast, and hiring the NHL's attorney during their 2004-05 lost season. Decertification was not mentioned in the interview, but it'll be coming.

Before the Year of Sports Death, though, we'll be having The Uncapped Year of 2010. As Florio, on the subject where he really knows what he's talking about, writes, though, this really won't be that good, and players are beginning to realize that.

Courtesy of Smart Football, Urban Meyer did a Q&A session with the Orlando Sentinel. There is some interesting stuff going on college football, tactically speaking, as this post on Mark Richt on the shallow cross series indicates, but that post also indicates that it's a lot easier to have a tactical advantage when you have superior players, and, as Dr. Z wrote I believe in The New Thinking Man's Guide, even when there is tactical complexity, analyzing it isn't necessarily that interesting. Great example of this was Rashard Mendenhall's long TD run in the 2008 Rose Bowl. I didn't find a video link quickly, but the play was basically Rey Maualuga attacking the wrong hole, leaving Mendenhall a gap between two offensive linemen and letting him run straight through to the end zone. Exciting for Illini fans, but really a single point of failure play and not that interesting to analyze. The NFL tends to be much more robust than that.

Jack Bechta at NFP had a very nice look at the range of opinions on the impending move to an 18-game regular season, talking to players, coaches, GMs, and Roger Rex. Make no mistake, this IS coming, and I'd bet there's a provision in the current media contracts that increases the amount the NFL gets for expanding the regular season. The problem for the players, though, is that's going to be more like a 5% bump than a 10% bump, and that'd be almost all the extra money they're going to get for getting injured more often.

I'll be writing a post on this post by Jason LaCanfora, now of NFL Network, on how much cash money teams spent from 2004-08.

An "I love the internet" moment: one thing I mucked around with a little bit a while ago, but never actually did was do my own PBP from watching a game. Thanks to modern connectivity, we now have the official PBP online. Still, if you actually need to do PBP on your own, you might want to read this thread for advice re same.

Another series on the greatest from PFR Blog, this one by Chase on Kickers. See parts one, two, and three, where the career rankings are. Some of the "clutchiness" proponents show up in the comments, but thankfully not that many.

One thing I found kind of randomly was an outline for a course on football history. No class sessions with suggested reading, but a useful list of books, though most were on the sidebar, my bookshelf, or the excel sheet I have of football books to read at some point, eventually, hopefully.

Brian Cook of MGoBlog attended the Blogs With Balls sportsblogging conference, and wrote about his experience. See also his followup post on some of the key questions about how he blogs. See also Smart Football, commenting on the same. Thanks to frequent commenter Jon for the kind words to this little enterprise in the comment there.

Finally, for now, I'll link to my favorite Football Outsiders article of all time: Mike Tanier's Kneel to Win theory. This, really, is the kind of piece and more importantly the mindset that made me fall in love with FO in the first place.

And, you know, I'm pretty much caught up with my links pieces. I guess I'll have to read books and write about them (like that one review I've been procrastinating on), or read more links and write about them, or write more in-depth pieces, or pop my head in at Total Titans, or other stuff like that.

1 comment:

Jon said...

Your welcome, man.