Sunday, December 20, 2009

Book Review: Football Outsiders Almanac 2009

As I just mentioned, I'm not going to do a real review of this book, but Football Outsiders Almanac 2009 is the latest edition of the annual book from the folks at Football Outsiders, a number that now includes yours truly. I wasn't involved in the writing of FOA 2009, though I was once again thanked in the Acknowledgments section for my work in the game charting project.

As to what's in the book, it's much the same as the previous edition under the previous name, Pro Football Prospectus 2008: a description of FO's methods and work, 32 team preview chapters, some essays on various research topics, statistical projections, and 25 top prospects. FOA 2009 also includes expanded college football content, with brief previews of the BCS teams and projections based on FEI, about which I will not say more. Along with the name change came that FOA 09, unlike PFP 08 and its prior editions, was self-published, available both at Amazon and on FO's site as a PDF download.

No comments: