Monday, December 07, 2009

Book Review: Monday Night Jihad

Did you know NFL kicker Jason Elam is also a novelist. It's true, I swear. As readers of A Few Seconds of Panic (a book I didn't quite finish and thus didn't review) know, Elam was working on a novel with his pastor. A Christian novel. A thriller about terrorism. Well, he finished it, and it was published. And my local library actually had it, so I went ahead and read Monday Night Jihad by Jason Elam and Steve Yohn. Ok, I only actually bothered to read it because Mike Tanier wrote a column about it. I wasn't subject to the same bet Mike (conflict notice: fellow FO staffer) was, so I'm not going to do a full review. I'll simply note that, take it from someone who's read a lot of thriller-type novels, this is one of the worse ones. It's better than Grisham's dreadful The Broker and also Dan Brown's Digital Fortress, but I still wouldn't have finished it. The only worthwhile parts are the football-related in-jokes, like Hawaii (Elam's alma mater) upsetting Notre Dame, making fun of the Not Raiders, and mocking ESPN's idiotic studio analysts. Ignore the Amazon reviews; Monday Night Jihad is not worth your time if you have anything else to read, and even then it's not worth it.

No comments: